20 December 2017 / Club News

Betws - 16/12/2017

                  LLANDYBIE   32        BETWS  13

After the hard fought victory over table toppers Bynea last week , Llandybie needed to back that up with another good performance against local opponents Betws.                                          The hosts had made a number of changes and looked a little lethargic for the first twenty minutes. Betws however had come to play and used their forwards well in the early exchanges. Llandybie had an early penalty converted by Lee Davies but Betws replied with a penalty by Adrian Thomas. The visitors  applied a lot of pressure with forward  drives and forced their way over for a try by Dan Morgan.                                                                               Llandybie upped their work rate with good carries by Rhydian Jones and Lyndon Davies with Shon Davies and Nathaniel Butler recycling the ball to the backs for Rhys Evans to put full back Alex Wigley over in the corner to tie the scores at 8 points apiece.  A good run by Lee Davies almost got Jones over the white wash but he was brought down just short. From the resulting scrum the hosts turned up the power to drive Betws back and with the Betws scrum half kicking the ball out of the scrum, the referee gave a penalty try to put the hosts   15 – 8 ahead. Betws put the ball to the forwards again and with a few missed tackles by the hosts scored another try just before half time to be only 2 points behind at the break.

Llandybie slowly turned up the pressure in the second period with hooker Rhys Cann finding his jumpers with regularity with Merlyn McClelland winning a lot of line out ball. Betws were a danger at times but the hosts centres Richard Davies and Rhys Evans had the defensive line organised. A good driving maul from Keenan Jones and Dai Lloyd almost brought a try for captain Jones ,brought up just short but the ball was laid back for Lyndon Davies to force his way over for a try converted by Lee Davies. Nathaniel Butler and Shon Davies were in the thick of the tackles made and some good carries by Rhys Cann sharing the workload. Another storming run by Davies almost put Ben Featherstone away but he was hauled down five metres short. A penalty for a cheap shot soon after was kicked to touch by Davies. Cann again found his jumper and the ball was moved quickly across field to Featherstone who offloaded in the tackle to Leighton Rees in support to score wide out and a bonus point. Some good box kicks by Rees kept the Betws defence busy with good chasing by winger Rhydian Jones. Mike Tench, Dan Brooks, Ethan Walters, Chris Powell and Dafydd Nicholas came on for the hosts as the coaches made use of the squad. A dropped pass from a Betws scrum was kicked through by Chris Powell  for centre Rhys Evans to pounce for a try to complete the scoring with Llandybie winning 32 – 13. A hard competitive match with both sided playing their part. Llandybie’s next match is away against Llandeilo on 30 December.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments