30 April 2018 / Club News

Lampeter 28/4/18

                     LAMPETER  14      LLANDYBIE  21

Llandybie travelled to North Road playing fields Lampeter for this league fixture with only one point separating the sides in the league. With a number of players missing or rested the visitors had made a number of changes.                                                                                               Lampeter started off moving the ball wide on every occasion and scored an early try by full back Rhys Douglas converting his own try. Llandybie exerted pressure of their own through the pack and gained a penalty kicked by fly half Lee Davies. The Lampeter fly half threw a long pass which went to ground and was gathered by centre Rhys Evans and although faced by four defenders fended off one and outpaced the others to score a good try converted by Lee Davies.                                                                                                                                                Lampeter  kicked for position but winger Alex Wigley cleverly volleyed the ball back upfield and gave chase. The pack arrived to pressure the defence and Lampeter strayed offside. Davies took the points to lead 13 – 7.   A good cross kick was gathered by Johnny Harris who made good ground. Lampeter had a penalty from Douglas which rebounded off the upright to safety.

Defensive duties were not neglected with good tackling from Mike Tench, Shon Davies  and James Tommason. Tommason and Merlyn McClelland were making life difficult for the hosts on their throw ins at the lineouts.  A loose pass by Lampeter was pounced on by Llandybie and captain Rhydian Jones powered for the line, from the ruck Leighton Rees found prop Keenan Jones to score in the corner. Llandybie lost Evans , Harris and Matthew Meredith with ankle injuries replaced by Aled Tommason, Richard Davies  and Dai Lloyd. The hosts threw everything into attack and a few poor tackles allowed Douglas to score his second try which he converted with a fine kick from the touchline. Half time  14 – 18.

The second half was played at breakneck pace. Good runs by Lampeter centre Brynmor Jones took the hosts to within ten yards by the visitors defence held firm. Two good runs by Llandybie captain Rhydian Jones almost took him over the whitewash. Both sides missed penalties. The hosts had a line out on Llandybie 15 yard line but Tommason stole the throw. Llandybie used their bench well bringing on Ethan Walters giving fresh legs. Full back Dafydd Nicholas made ground with a good run out of defence and from the ruck Lampeter again strayed offside and Davies struck the penalty to seal the win for Llandybie.  A hard fought contest with Llandybie deserving the spoils to complete the double over Lampeter.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments