04 September 2017 / Club News

Betws vs Llandybie 2/9/17


After last season’s promotion, Llandybie’s first match was a local derby against Betws. The visitors put their stall out early with Nathaniel Butler taking the high ball for the kick off. From the first scrum Llandynie drove Betws back on their put in. Both defensive lines were up very quickly but centre Rhys Evans broke through running a good angle but the pass was deemed forward. Llandybie were on top for long periods but could not turn their advantage into points due to good defence by Betws. Alex Comey, back from a long injury layoff and Merlyn McClelland were winning good lineout ball from Rhys Cann’s throws and McClelland was disrupting Betws line out ball. Scrum half Luke Yelland broke clear but his pass went to ground.

Betws took the lead when the visitors back wandered offside. Llandybie drew level from a scrum infringement, converted by Aled Tommason. Further pressure drew another penalty for hands in the ruck and Tommason took the points. Hooker Rhys Cann was lost with a twisted knee, replaced by prop Keenan Jones. Full back Chris Powell pegged Betws back with accurate touch finders.  Half time  Betws 3  Llandybie  6.

In the second period Betws had an early penalty which fell short and fly half Richard Davies cleared with along touch finder. Llandybie’s back row of Lyndon Davies, Rhydian Jones and Butler were very prominent in defence. Llandybie missed a penalty Tommason hitting wide from a good position. Llandybie’s pack was on top all match with props Dai Lloyd and Matthew Meredith anchoring the scrum well. From another infringement Rhydian jones took a quick tap and Butler almost got over but credit the Betws defence.

 The home side infringed again and Llandybie elected for a scrum and from Luke Yelland’s put in drove Betws over the line for Rhydian Jones to touch down. Tommason,unusually, again missed the conversion. Llandybie threw the ball wide again with Rhys Evans making good ground with Powell joining the line to put Ben Featherstone over in the corner but the referee inexplicably disallowed the try.

Llandybie again drove forward and from the resultant ruck lost Keenan Jones with a serious eye injury and  Ethan Walters replaced Jones and from the restart scrum the home team were again driven back and the referee gave a penalty try for pulling down the scrum. The visitors led  18 – 3 but Betws came again but a last ditch tackle by Josh cranfield kept them out. It was a tough battle but the forward nous of Llandybie proved the difference. Next week Llandybie are home to Llandeiloi

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments